hko

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Remedies for Rainy Day Blues


It goes without saying that the recent weather has been bittersweet. It feels amazing to have an excuse to cuddle up with a warm beverage and some Netflix, and even more enjoyable to fall asleep to the soft pitter patter of raindrops on your windowpane. However, I always get into this weird funk when wet weather pervades for longer than a few hours. My list of grievances begins with the most irritating of offenses caused by rainstorms- soaked pant legs. This used to be of greater annoyance when flares were trending.. because there was so much excess material to soak up puddles like a sponge. And your pants would just stay wet for hours because denim takes ages to dry out.. and if you crossed your legs then any contact between wet material and dry material would cause a spread of overall miserable wetness. 
As you can tell, I seriously despise getting my pants wet in the rain. I'm entirely off-topic now. I wanted to make a short post to share my personal remedies for any rainy day blues you may contract. To my dismay, these activities can't help your pant legs dry out.

Paint Your Nails
I was inspired by my favorite character BMO from Adventure Time. I know they look a little uneven because I freehanded them (also, I purposefully wasn't trying to paint tips- I wanted to fill the top 1/3rd of the nail with the glitter& that's why it's so thick!). I did a heavy first layer of Re-Fresh Mint by China Glaze and then covered it with their matte top layer, called Matte Magic, so there'd be a greater texture contrast against the glitter paint. Then I added the glitter polish called This is Tree-Mendous, which is also by China Glaze.

Sketch & Design
If you know me at all, you know that I have a very fashion-conscious mind and one of my favorite pastimes is creating and designing my own clothing/ accessories. My sister bought me an awesome fashion sketchpad with body stencils already printed on the paper. I used to freehand these or print off templates from the internet but it's so much more convenient to have a ton of them available and all compiled together. This is a more haute couture design I came up with- the squiggly area is black lace, the bodice of the dress is encrusted with gems, there's a large bow detail on the back, and the skirt of the dress is fluffy with a lot of body and volume. I envision this in all black with contrast from a range of fabrics (i.e. lace, organza, velvet). 

Shop for Seasonal Decor
 
Look at this awesome lantern I picked up from Marshalls in the Christmas section! My two favorite animals are deer and foxes so purchasing this was an absolute must for me. I know it's intended for the holiday season but you can be sure I'll have this out year-round. I only paid $15 as opposed to the retail price of $25. I love that each glass pane has the cameo print on it and that the overall construction of the lantern is quite large.

Drink Tea
I get excited when I can drink out of my cute floral thermos that I purchased back in the summer from Target. It's part of the Poppytalk collection and perfect for storing generous servings of your favorite caffeinated beverage. I'm a bit of a sweet tooth so instead of using milk for my tea I use coffee creamer. I purchased Coffee Mate's version of pumpkin spice creamer the other day and am only now just testing it out. I LOVE IT. Now I can have a seasonal-flavored drink at any time I please without having to drag my lazy self to Starbucks. I will be stocking up on this creamer before the end of December so the pumpkin consumption will never cease!

I hope I gave you all some ideas on how to kill any boredom this lackluster weather may invite. I think I'm going to stay in bed this evening, drink more tea, eat some soup, do some homework, and then fall asleep to Turnover. 





No comments:

Post a Comment